Fragebogen zur steuerlichen Erfassung mit ELSTER online 2022 | Schritt-für-Schritt Anleitung

Domain & Hosting bundle deals!

Are you starting your own business and need to fill out the questionnaire for tax registration? If so – in this video you will find step-by-step instructions. Hi, my name is Melchior from Kontist Steuerberatung and I have founded six companies myself and know this from many other founders. In the beginning you have a lot of things to do. One of the most important things is to register with the tax office, otherwise there will only be trouble later and you will otherwise not get a tax number that you can write on your invoices. With this questionnaire for tax registration, however, there are often many questions and uncertainties, so I thought that we should just go through it together. This means that I'll take you with me on my screen and we'll just go through this whole questionnaire for tax registration in ELSTER Online together and I'll tell you everything you need to know about each field. We are now here in the online interface of ELSTER. ELSTER is the online access to the tax office. And you should definitely have ELSTER online access if you are self-employed, because this is exactly where you can register with the tax office.

You can see the menu here on the left. Under "Forms and Services" you can see almost all forms that you can fill out here at ELSTER Online. And of course this also includes the entire tax registration process i.e. the so-called “questionnaire for tax registration”. We'll click on it once and then you'll see that there's a whole series of questionnaires that you can fill out. In this video I want to focus on sole proprietorships. If you are self-employed, i.e. you want to become self-employed in the legal form of a sole proprietorship, you have come to the right place. For example, if you want to set up a GmbH, a UG or an association, you can still watch this video and a lot of the content will also be relevant for you. But as an example I will take a freelancer because that is the easiest thing and we make this channel especially for freelancers and the solo self-employed.

And that's why we're going through a case like this together. This is also the reason why we click on the top here. We select the tax registration questionnaire for sole proprietorships. And then the next screen already says who exactly needs to be right here and that's all commercial sole proprietorships, that's all self-employed or freelance self-employed people. This distinction is also important. You should think about what you are registering as before.

Do you work commercially or do you work as a freelancer? I have also recorded an in-depth video, which I will put a link to for you here in the top right-hand corner. Please take a look. In this video I will generally address a few more in-depth videos from time to time. I'll put a link to them all in the video description below. That means that if there's ever an issue and I say, "there's another separate video," feel free to go down to the video description below and check it out. But whether you're a freelancer or a business, you should definitely think twice before completing this tax registration questionnaire.

Even if you want to set up an agricultural or forestry business, you've come to the right place. But I suspect that you will definitely be in the minority of viewers. Most of our viewers are freelance or traders. Farmers and foresters are, at least if I interpret the comments correctly, in the minority. But feel free to keep watching, it's exactly the same thing you need to fill out. Then we click on “continue” and then see the start page of the form here. First perhaps to the general structure of this form. You can roughly see the process above. So first we enter the data, this is about the whole data collection, which you can enter here. In the next step you can check all your information again. This means that you get an overview of all your details and can check them again. And ELSTER will also point this out to you if anything is missing or there is a contradiction. And only then can you send it off. That's basically your progress report at the top left, where you can be.

Of course, it is also possible that you start now and take a break in between because you still want to clarify certain things, because you want to open an account again, because you want to find a tax advisor, etc. Then you can save this form at any time, exit and continue editing later. This is not a problem at all and is also well solved here. And then you see this round thing on the far left, if you want to know what is waiting for you, i.e. which questions you should actually answer now, you can click on this and then you will see the entire form. In the past, the whole thing was filled out on paper and each of these points was a separate area and the whole form consisted of eight pages. But here we have the online form, here you can see roughly how far along you are and how long you will need, but you can unfold it and then simply enter the data here. Now let's start filling out this form together. What is nice here is that you can take over data that you have already stored at ELSTER Online.

When registering with ELSTER Online, you may have already entered your name, your tax number, your address or other information. And you can simply transfer this information from the ELSTER Online master data here. And for that you click here on “take over from my profile”. There you can see my name and first name directly and here you can simply click on “Use my Profile” and then it will take all the information over. In the next step you should enter your tax number or possibly apply for a new one. At this point it is relatively important to know: you are founding a company. This means that you probably do not yet have a tax number for your self-employment. However, it is possible that you already have a tax number for your income tax. If you have already prepared a tax return in the past and you have a tax number on your tax assessment, you can enter it here.

What you then have to enter here is the federal state and your tax number. And then your responsible tax office will be displayed automatically. If you have never submitted a tax return and do not yet have a tax number, you can simply go to "Apply for a New Tax Number” here. All you have to do is select a federal state and the responsible tax office. You can find out relatively quickly which tax office is right for you by googling. It is important here that you should always take the seat of the company. If you work away from home and want to register your self-employment somewhere else, for example in a co-working space or in your own office, and this office is in a different part of the city or community than where you live, you must register your place of business here and specify the tax office. So the tax office, which is basically responsible for the place where your company is based.

For me it is Charlottenburg, so I enter Berlin Charlottenburg here. And then in the next step I click on “Next Page”. The next step, or the first real step, is all the information about you. This means that the taxpayer, you, who is about to become self-employed, should enter all the information here. This is exactly the field where ELSTER Online pulls all possible information from the master data. With me you can also see that the salutation, surname and first name are all already filled out. You should enter that here. You should also enter your profession. I've now written that I'm a professional video man. You should of course enter your real job here, depending on what you do and what you have learned.

Your date of birth and your religion are also important. Why is religion actually important? You pay church tax in Germany when you go to church. This means that you are subject to church tax and that is of course relevant for the tax office to determine whether church tax should also be levied. If you are not a member of a church, simply click on “Not Subject to Church Tax”. The next step is your tax number. I laugh a bit because this is about your personal tax identification number and your VAT identification number. You should state this in order to apply for your tax number. This means that we as self-employed people in Germany have three tax numbers: a tax number, a personal tax identification number and a VAT identification number.

What exactly the differences are and what exactly you should use which number for, I have also recorded in an in-depth video on the subject. You can also find a link to this below in the video description. If you are not 100% sure about that, please check again. But all you should enter here is your identification number and your VAT number. In addition, your marital status is of course very important in the next step.

If you are married or in a registered partnership, you can file a joint tax return. Your joint tax return is now changing because you are self-employed because you suddenly also have income from self-employment or commercial activity. Here you should enter your marital status and how long this status has existed, i.e. when did you get married or since when, for example, have you been divorced or widowed. The next area is about the address. And here, too, it is important – it is about the company address. So if the company address is not at home, enter your company address here. This applies both to the domestic address and possibly to the foreign address if you also have a registered office abroad. You also have the option of specifying a post office box. This means that if you don't want to receive the mail directly, but want it to go to a PO Box, you can indicate it here.

The next step is about telephone, email and the internet. These three pieces of information are voluntary. You don't have to give this information to the tax office, but sometimes it helps if they have your phone number or email address, because there are sometimes cases that can be clarified easier on the phone or email than by writing. And then you can put the information here to maybe simplify the communication a bit in some cases.

We come to the next step when we click on “Next Page”. In the next step, you have to provide information about your spouse again, i.e. your spouse or your registered partner. Here, too, it is about the salutation, the surname, first name, profession, date of birth, religious affiliation, etc. This is actually analogous to your information. This is relatively important, because otherwise the tax office will have difficulties in issuing you a tax assessment together. And for precise identification, your spouse's personal tax identification number is also important everywhere, which you can enter here. Otherwise, you should also enter an address if you do not live together. If you live separately, you can enter the address again here, if you live together, just go to the next page. The next step is about your bank details and important at this point, it's your business bank details. There is no legal requirement to have a separate business account, but I can tell you from my experience, from my own experience and from the experiences of our clients, that having a separate business account is highly recommended.

Because if you have a separate business account and use it to run all your business finances, i.e. all your business income and expenses, that creates an incredible amount of order and, all in all, makes up 50-60% of your bookkeeping, which you can do just by keeping the account right. And it saves you valuable time when it comes to preparing the tax return and collecting all the documents together, because in the end you actually only have to look at the bank statement of your business account and make sure that you collect these receipts that belong to these transactions.

There are also some business accounts that can do a bit more and also help you in everyday life as a self-employed person, for example the Kontist business account. As a self-employed person, you always have the problem that you don't know 100% how much money in the account actually belongs to you and how much you should put aside for taxes. As an employee you don't have this problem at all, but as a self-employed person you somehow live in constant fear of spending too much money and then not having enough money for taxes.

And the Kontist business account solves exactly this problem, because this account puts the tax aside and is updated with every transaction, i.e. every incoming and outgoing transaction. How this works exactly, I have recorded some videos on it. I'll put a link to it for you as a playlist in the top right corner. You're welcome to take a look. It is my personal recommendation that you use this as a business account. Of course, you can also use any other business account and enter your business bank details here. The next step is tax advice. As a self-employed person, you do not need to have a tax advisor. There is no legal obligation for this either, but of course the whole thing can make sense. If you don't want to deal with the topics of "accounting and tax returns" etc.

Just find a tax consultant who will do it for you. At this point we would like to point out again that we, Kontist Steuerberatung, are specialised online tax consultants for freelancers and the self-employed. This means that if you would like to have a sparring partner, a competent consultant for your self-employment, to whom you can hand over all these accounting and tax issues, take a look at our offer. I'll put a link to it for you in the top right corner of the video.

You can also find all the information via a link below in the video description. You're welcome to take a look. And if it suits you, call us, maybe we can help you. Personally, I would at least be very happy if you would give our name and address here. Of course you can also enter any other accountant here or if you decide to do it all yourself, you can actually just leave these fields blank. You only need to fill out the next step if you have a tax advisor. This is about the authorisation to receive. Your tax advisor can only work for you if he also receives the letters from the tax office, otherwise you will receive them and always have to forward them to your tax advisor before he can take action.

Therefore, you should issue your tax advisor with a receipt of authorisation. This then means that the letters from the tax office go directly to the tax consultant and do not end up with you first. For example, if you want to commission us, you can enter our information here or the information from the other tax advisor. If you say: "I prefer to do everything myself", you can also leave everything blank here. The next step is about your previous personal circumstances. You only have to fill this out if you have moved within the last 12 months – then you have to enter your previous address once – or if you have been registered with another tax office somewhere else within the last three years, i.e.

Any other tax office for your income tax return was responsible. So that there are no overlaps and confusion internally at the tax offices, you should enter here again where you have been listed so far and possibly also your spouse. In the next step it gets really interesting, because you should enter the type of activity. Then there is the exact name of the trade. Honestly, it also says that you have 200 characters, which is not that much. Here you should briefly describe in a few words what you do professionally. Much more space than an extended job description is not possible here. And then, in the next step, you should list your business name. It is very, very important here, as there is often confusion, that as a sole proprietorship that is not entered in the commercial register, you always use your personal name as the company name. You can't come up with a fantasy name here. You can only choose a fantasy name if you also enter yourself in the commercial register, which usually involves significantly more requirements and bureaucracy.

If you are simply looking for an easy way to become self-employed, your company name, i.e. the name of your company, is always your personal name. It is also important here that you list the start of the activity, i.e. the day on which you started to be self-employed. And if you don't work at home, i.e. your company's headquarters are not at home, you should list the company's address here again. It may be that you have rented a separate office or a co-working space and your company headquarters are not at home. Then you should list the address here again, because then your company tax office may be different from your private tax office. In this case you enter the address of your company here, in all other cases, i.e.

If you work from home, you leave these fields empty. Most of you can probably skip the next step, which is about the different location of the management, i.e. if your company has one headquarters and the management has another location, so you may have several branches. Freelancers, traders or individual traders who are just starting out do not usually have that at first.

You would need to have a larger company for that and most of you don't have a different place of management. You can simply skip this here without any problems and do not need to enter anything else. The same applies in step nine when it comes to “business premises”. If you don't have multiple business locations, you can just ignore that and skip to the next step. Exactly the same applies to step ten and the commercial register entry. As a freelancer, you don't have to register yourself in the commercial register, it doesn't matter anyway. And if you are a tradesman and are now starting out as a one-man show or one-woman show and everything is relatively small at first, you do not need to enter yourself in the commercial register and can skip this step for the time being. The next step is the form of foundation. This question may come as a bit of a surprise at first, because most of you will be founding a new company, but there are several ways of founding a company.

There is the form of foundation and it can also be the case that you simply relocate and have to register again for tax purposes. But it is also possible that you bought a company and simply took over the company from a previous owner. Or you merge two companies together. You may buy a business and merge that with your existing business. You would then have to fill out the questionnaire for tax registration again. I am assuming most of you here have a startup, so you select startup. Then you have to enter the founding date here again and can leave the rest blank. If you buy your company and basically just take it over, you have to enter all the tax information and the address etc. of the previous owner here again.

Of course, the tax office would like to know whether this is a new company or which company is now being transferred from whom to whom and what the tax situation is. Here you may have to provide information about who previously owned your company. And the next step is not about the circumstances of your company in the past, but about your circumstances. If you have been self-employed at any time in the last five years – self-employed means that you had a sole proprietorship, a partnership or a corporation with more than 1% – you must state your previous business situation here again.

pexels photo 267507

Of course, it's possible that you were self-employed and are now continuing the whole thing after a two or three year break or doing something similar. Of course, the tax office would like to know, because there might even be a tax number and they can then give you the same tax number again. If you have been self-employed at any time in the past five years, you should enter that information here.

If you have not been self-employed in the last five years, you can also skip this step and click on "Next Page". Area 13, i.e. the “information on determining the advance payment for income tax and trade tax” is usually the point at which all self-employed and all new founders get lost and no longer understand what they are actually supposed to do. The point here is that you roughly state how much income you have in the year of foundation and the following year, because as a self-employed person you have to make quarterly advance payments on income tax and trade tax. Of course, only if you have the appropriate income. And since we have seven types of income according to the German Income Tax Act, seven types of income are also queried here.

You have to state here what income you have from agriculture and forestry, what from a commercial enterprise, what from self-employment. Important to note at this point for the income tax law: self-employment corresponds to freelance work. This means that this is about freelance work. Then there is the non-self-employed work. Employed work is an employee activity, i.e. what job you have as an employee. Then it comes to income from capital assets, income from renting and leasing and other income, such as pensions. This means that we have seven types of income and in the income tax return you pay your income tax on all your income, i.e. on all seven types of income. That's why all seven types of income are queried here, for the year you founded and for the year after that, i.e.

For two years. And if you are married, in most cases you will be assessed together. You also have to enter this for your spouse for the founding year and the following year, and that very quickly means that you don’t even enter one or two numbers, which is what you expect in terms of profit, but 7, 14, 21, 28 fields. And in my experience, you leave most of the fields blank because you usually don't have seven types of income, but maybe one, two or a maximum of three. So if you are now self-employed, you just enter something in “Commercial Enterprise” or “Self-Employed Work”, depending on whether you are a trader or freelancer. This means that you enter, and this is very important, what you expect as profit for this year and next year.

It's not about sales, it's about profit. If you are starting a business part-time or maybe starting a business full-time but are still employed part-time, you can enter your non-self-employed work here, for example. And you don't have to be too timid. Here you can really leave fields blank if you don't have anything there. It is also important that many founders overdo it a bit when it comes to the business plan. Great preliminary calculations are made and large profits are planned. My personal experience from six startups is that it usually takes a lot longer than you think at the beginning. That means the wins aren't coming quite as quickly as you might think. Round the numbers, even to thousands. This is not about the last euro and the last cent amount that you somehow enter, but round it roughly to thousands. This is really just about the quarterly advance payments, which you can also adjust at any time.

If you fill in less now because you're thinking, "this will probably take a little longer" and then you notice that the profits are already flowing in the first or second year, you can also contact the tax office at any time and have these advance payments adjusted upwards. So nothing is set in stone at all when you enter here. You can also enter other tax deductions below, in particular special expenses and other tax deductions.

You can also find more in-depth videos on special expenses and other deductions below in the video description. Special expenses are e.g. your pension or health insurance contributions or your private liability insurance, etc. You can claim these for tax purposes and you can also enter them for yourself and for your spouse in the year of foundation and in the year after. And they may reduce your income tax prepayment. The same applies to tax deductions. These are above all extraordinary loads. And extraordinary burdens are usually health costs, i.e. doctors and hospital costs etc. which you can tax. As I said, there is also an in-depth video below in the video description. The next step is your method of determining your winnings. By the way, there is also an in-depth video that you can find a link to below in the video description. As a self-employed person, you have two options for determining your profit. One is the revenue surplus calculation and the other is the accounting. Incidentally, this accounting is called “Comparison of Business Assets” in the questionnaire for tax registration.

It's a bit beyond the scope of why it's called that, but it's basically the same thing. I would strongly recommend that you go for the excess revenue calculation while you can. There is also an in-depth video on the topic, which I will put a link to below in the video description. It is important that you can choose the surplus of income calculation if you are a freelancer or trader with an annual profit of less than 60,000 € or an annual turnover of less than 600,000 €. So if you are above these limits as a trader, you unfortunately cannot choose the income surplus calculation and have to set up a business assets comparison or just do your accounting after balancing. You can find out more about this in the video below in the video description. And then you have the option of choosing a fiscal year that differs from the calendar year.

I personally don't recommend that for you, at least not if you're a small business. For some companies it makes sense that the fiscal year does not start from 1 January and go until 31 December. I'll take a football club as an example. The football season usually runs from 1 July one year until 30 June and because of this, most football clubs have a fiscal year that pretty much coincides with the season in which they play football. Therefore, most football clubs determine, for example, from 1 July until 30 June their profit, and then create their balance sheet, their annual accounts as of 30 June. If you are not a football club or have any other reason why you should do this differently, I would recommend that your financial year should correspond to the calendar year, because otherwise it only produces work and has no other tax advantage. I would also like to skip the next step, i.e. step 15, at this point, which should not be relevant for most of you.

This is specifically about construction work. And most of you are not construction companies. If you have anything to do with construction and need information, you will also find a link here with more information to find out what options you have here. But I would like to skip it in this video because otherwise it would go completely beyond its scope. The next step shouldn't matter to most of you either. This is about the payment of income tax, i.e. how many employees you have, how much income tax you pay, where your employees work, etc. If you are not planning to have employees subject to social security contributions at the beginning of your self-employment, leave the whole thing blank. Even if you are finding yourself now and after six months or a year you realise that you need employees and want to hire them, you can also report all this information later. If you don't plan it right away when you set up the company, leave it empty for now. The next area, i.e. area 17 “Information on the Registration and Payment of VAT”, is the area where all founders are sitting with a question mark on their face at least and that is why we are going through all these points together step by step.

The first question concerns the sale of the business as a whole. I'm going to skip this point because that won't apply to the vast majority of you. The next point is all the more important for this. It's about estimating your sales, your planned sales. It is important at this point that it is about sales and not about profit or income, as was the case with a few questions above. This means that you should state your planned turnover in the year of foundation and in the following year. Why is this all important? There are certain voting rights and options you have that depend on your sales. What we have already mentioned is the right for tradespeople to choose whether to balance or create an income surplus calculation.

This is only possible up to certain profit and turnover limits. And if you have annual sales of more than 600,000 €, you have to balance. For example, this information on sales is important. And, for example, when it comes to the right to choose whether you are a small business owner or not, sales are crucial. It is crucial whether your turnover is below 22,000 € or 50,000 €. Therefore, simply enter your planned sales here. And important here too: round that roughly to thousands and rather set the value a little more conservatively. Don't be too optimistic here, it will only result in you having fewer opportunities as a founder. The next question is the question of small business regulation. This is a topic that you should deal with anyway if your annual turnover or planned turnover is less than 22,000 € or 50,000 €. You will find a link to a very detailed video below in the video description and if you are just starting a business, for example part-time, this could be interesting for you. Then you should definitely watch this video and then decide whether you want to make use of the small business regulation here.

The next question is actually pretty nasty and hasn't been on the tax registration questionnaire that long either. And that is the question of the payment burden or the surplus. That's pretty difficult to estimate. In general, the sales and profits are quite difficult to estimate when you start a business, because you don't have any experience and don't even know how your own services or products might be accepted in the market. However, you should state how much VAT you are expected to pay to the tax office based on the VAT return and the input tax surplus or how much you may be reimbursed.

Here I would recommend that you do the following: you roughly take your projected profit, for example 50,000 € annual profit, and then you take your tax rate that you plan to have on average. So if you don't have any exemption or reduction regulations for your service, 19% is the classic VAT rate. If you plan to make an annual profit of 50,000 € per year, simply calculate 50,000 € x 19%, that is 9,500 €, and then enter here: estimated payment, 9,500 €. The main thing here is that the tax office can tell you how often you should submit your advance VAT returns. Of course, it can also be the case that you invest at the beginning and in the first year do not plan any profit at all, but rather a loss. Then you also have expenses and VAT on these investments and can then also claim them as part of the VAT advance return. And then it may well be that you get a VAT refund from the tax office. For example, if you plan to lose 10,000 € in the first year, you would click on “Surplus (estimated)” and take 10,000 € x 19% and simply enter “Surplus (estimated)” here at 1,900 €.

Then you informed the tax office that you assumed that you would not pay any VAT in the first year, but that you would even get VAT back. The next question is the question of VAT exemptions. Not all sales are subject to VAT. There are certain transactions that are all included in §4 UStG and are exempt from VAT. This means that there are certain services that you simply don't pay VAT on. These are, for example, services from doctors, but also services in connection with insurance. If you are an insurance consultant or insurance broker, these sales are usually exempt from VAT. Or certain lecturer activities for universities and colleges are also exempt from VAT. If you have such sales, you should usually know that and then you can enter it here. If you're not 100% sure you have this, feel free to leave it blank. Incidentally, exactly the same applies to the reduced VAT rate. The standard VAT rate in Germany is 19%. However, there are certain services that are only subject to 7% VAT and you should also enter them here.

Common examples here are food or books. So if you want to sell books, you only have to pay 7% VAT on these books and then you should enter that here as well. If you're not 100% sure – as always, just leave it blank. The next question is the question of average rate taxation. Admittedly, that's pretty rare, so I'm just going to skip this one, otherwise the video will be a lot longer. But the next question is interesting and it is about target or actual taxation. I also recorded an in-depth video.

You can also find a link to this below in the video description. At this point I can only tell you that you should choose actual taxation for as long as possible. This is not always possible, because that also depends on your sales limits. It is important at this point that the actual taxation in the questionnaire for tax registration is not called "Actual Taxation", but "Taxation According to the Fees Received".

If you meet all the requirements, select taxation based on “Receipts Received”. The next question is the question of the VAT number. For business relations with companies from abroad, especially from other EU countries, you need a VAT identification number to prove that you are a quasi-entrepreneur. And the whole thing goes both ways. If you have business relations with companies from other EU countries, you need this number. This also applies if you are a customer, for example with software tools. Google, Apple and Facebook, for example, are based in Ireland and thus in other EU countries. And if you want to use these software providers or platforms for your self-employment, you would need a VAT number. However, you also need the same if you have customers from other EU countries. If you have customers in Austria, France or Denmark you should have a VAT number and you can easily apply for it here as part of the tax registration questionnaire by simply checking the box here. That costs nothing. If I were me, I would always recommend you to select that because it doesn't hurt. And even if you don't need it now – eventually you will need it.

The last question on VAT is about the tax liability of construction and cleaning companies. Since I am assuming that most of you do not have a construction or cleaning company, I will leave that out here as well. If you have specific questions about this, feel free to write a comment below this video. The next step, i.e. in point number 18, is about a VAT group. I would like to skip this whole area because the VAT group is important for you if you have several companies and these companies do business with each other in some way. Since I'm assuming most of you don't have multiple businesses, I think we'll skip this step. And you can also omit it in this case if you just have self-employment. The next area, i.e. area 19, deals with a special taxation procedure for companies that are active in the field of e-commerce. This means that if you are an entrepreneur who deals with the mail order business of physical goods, the so-called "one-stop-shop" procedure applies to you. This whole topic of "taxation of mail order business" is relatively complex and a lot has changed in recent years and of course is still changing, because this is a really booming market.

There are specialised tax consultants and service providers who do nothing but take care of the taxation of mail order. That's why I would like to refer to "Taxdoo" at this point and not explain it myself and go into great lengths. I’ll put a link for you to the “Taxdoo” YouTube channel in the video description below. There are many exciting explanatory videos that explain exactly all these mechanisms and tax challenges. That's why I just want to point this out now, because you should definitely deal with the tax challenges before you fill out the questionnaire for tax registration here. And that's why I'll just jump to the next point here. And area number 20 is also about turnover in the area of ​​​​trade in goods via the Internet.

So this is exactly the same issue. Again, you should first visit “Taxdoo” and watch the videos. If you then know what you are getting yourself into, you also know what you have to enter here. The next step, number 21, is about the documents that you could submit to the tax office in addition to this questionnaire for tax registration. This is, for example, your tax advisor’s power of attorney or your tax advisor’s power of attorney to receive. Or the direct debit mandate that you can deposit with the tax office. It often makes sense that you give the tax office a direct debit mandate and allow them to debit almost all tax payments from your account.

There is also an in-depth video that explains what the advantages are and how you do it. I'll put a link to it in the video description below. And once you've filled this out, you're done. Congratulations, you have now filled out everything you need to register for tax purposes in Germany as a self-employed person or freelancer. This means that in the next step you can go to “Check Everything” again and look at all the points again and see if everything is correct and in the next step you can send this questionnaire to the tax office.

What actually happens when you click on “Send”? All the information is at the tax office and it can start registering you for tax purposes and managing you as a self-employed person. This whole process takes two to six weeks. It varies greatly from tax office to tax office and in general how much work there is in the tax offices themselves. It is important at this point that you will receive a letter from the tax office as an answer to this questionnaire for tax registration and your tax number is in this letter.

And this tax number is also the number that you should use in the invoices that you issue. And there it may well be that you are in a hurry. Maybe you've already started working, the customers are already pushing and wanting the invoice, but you can't issue an invoice yet because you don't have a tax number. In my experience, it is worthwhile simply calling your tax office one and a half to two weeks after you have sent off the tax registration questionnaire. Because sometimes it is the case that the tax number has already been assigned to you in the system, but has simply not yet been communicated to you by post. And in such cases, the clerk can give you your tax number over the phone.

I hope this video has helped you get through the tax registration questionnaire a little better. And if you made it to the end of this video, then congratulations on your perseverance! It is exactly this stamina that you will need when you are self-employed. But if you also need help with your self-employment, for example with bookkeeping and tax returns, etc. I would be very happy if we could help you with that. As I said, we are specialised online tax consultants for freelancers and the self-employed and you can find all information about our offer with this link here. You are also welcome to take a look at our online community for the self-employed. I explain all the information about this and how you can register in this video. Or simply watch our other videos on accounting and tax topics for the self-employed. You can find a video here, for example..

You May Also Like